Acolytes – children in second grade and higher can serve the Lord at St. John by lighting candles and helping with worship. Chris Lawton helps remind of scheduling. (746-3210)
Altar Guild – Cathy Glaser (746-5067) heads up a group of women who keep our altar prepared for weekly worship.
AMC Vacation Bible School – St. John members have multiple opportunities to serve the people of Alaska by sharing Jesus through an Alaska Mission for Christ Vacation Bible School. Contact Ruth Zellar at 373-2810.
Children’s Message – Those who wish may share a children’s message in worship.
Church Boards – Elected boards plan the activities and ministries of St. John. A Church Council made up of these boards meets monthly to plan church ministry and activities, and deal with financial issues. Dave Nufer is our Congregational President (745-6528). These boards include:
- Adult Education Board – This group plans Adult Bible Classes and Small Groups.
- Education Board – This board plans Sunday School and Vacation Bible School.
- Elders – The Elders meet and work to promote spiritual health at St. John.
- Evangelism – The Evangelism Board works to lead the church as it shares Jesus in the community and invites people to join us in worshiping Him.
- Family and Children – This board plans activities to promote activities for the whole family, such as the Fall Festival and the Easter Festival.
- Fellowship – This board plans activities and service to bring people closer together. It works on meals, picnics, outings, Christmas caroling and other opportunities to grow together.
- Human Needs – This board provides love and care for members in time of need.
- Stewardship – The Stewardship Board plans opportunities for members and friends of St. John to live their faith in commitment of time, talent, and treasure.
- Trustees – The trustees take care of the property and facilities of St. John.
- Worship – The Worship Board works to help plan, advise, and provide resources concerning worship at St. John
- Youth – The Youth Board plans activities for Middle School and High School Youth at St. John.
Greeters – Greeters serve in worship welcoming those who attend. Diana Christensen (746-0300) currently organizes our greeters.
Joyful Noise – Joyful Noise is a group of St. John members and friends who lead music during late worship on Sundays. They practice on Fridays and on Sundays. We can use singers and instrumentalists to help lead worship. Marilee Nufer, one of our music coordinators, helps with Joyful Noise (745-6528)
Lay Minister – Men are trained to help with worship. This training in Sacraments, Preaching, Worship, and other areas also prepares these men to fill in when the pastor is out of town.
Nursery – Members volunteer to watch little children in the church nursery during late worship. Ellen Lentz Bang (376-4644) coordinates our nursery.
Prayer Chain – This internet group prays for those who request prayer. Contact Jacki Rose to submit a prayer request at email@example.com.
Quilting – Quilters meet at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday mornings to make quilts for Lutheran World Relief.
Readers – A group of members help with worship by reading the Scriptures during worship.
Sound Board / Video Screen – Volunteers use a sound board to enhance sound in late worship, and use a laptop computer to project images for worship on screens so that members can follow the liturgy, the songs, and the sermon. Marilee Nufer coordinates. (745-6528)
Stephen Ministry – Stephen Ministers are trained, confidential care givers to children of God who have experienced challenges in life.
Teachers – We are often looking for people who can teach -
- Adult Bible Classes
- Sunday School
- Vacation Bible School
- Small Group classes.
Ushers – Al Kastar (746-5242) is our head usher. We are always looking for people who are willing to help direct people for worship.
Wheelchair Bus Drivers – These folks pick up people for church in a wheelchair van. Dave Sutton (745-0274) organizes this group of volunteers.